Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Dining set redo

So my family is notoriously hard on furniture. We went through two dining sets in the first 6 years of marriage. I asked my mom to be on the lookout for a sturdy set when she went yard saling, and boy did she ever! She found a very sturdy set that had been residing in someone's barn for a decade or two.  I had every plan to refinish it at some point. And that point has finally come, 8 years later lol.

Years of daily use!

Before pic, notice the chipped polyurethane on the seat? All of them look like that, and have paint dribbles and whatnot.
So I asked some friends how hard it would be to refinish, and one said chalk paint was the perfect answer! It adheres to almost anything, dries quickly and most importantly - you don't have to strip the old varnish and stain off! I LOVE the lazy way out =D  So I asked around and got a homemade chalk paint recipe from a friend who refinishes furniture. (much cheaper than the $30+ per can for the premade stuff)  I started my little wheels turning on what colors I'd like my set to be. And decided on lots of colors!
These are the paint chips I finally settled on.

So I picked my colors and waited for payday. And waited, and waited, and waited. I decided waiting isn't my strong suit, and jumped in with the paints I had on hand!
1st chair!
This is the color of my son's bedroom. First coat of paint applied!
I called in the reinforcements.
Started the second chair!
I feel the need to inform you that orange does not cover as well as green. Green took 2 coats and a couple touchups. Orange took 4, plus the touch ups.
And this is where we stand today. Now I really have to wait for payday. I want to paint the table turquoise and the last chair yellow, and I don't own either of those colors. I also need to buy wax to give them a protective finish. I've read that waxing it makes the colors darker, but I'm wondering if I should buy a colored wax to tone down those bright colors just a bit.  I'll have that figured out by friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment